We’re always telling our kids the best gifts are homemade, so why don’t we lead by example and give them something homemade too? I don’t mean instead of all those other things they really want (that’s crazy talk!) but as an extra-special something, well one of these DIYs might be just the thing. And I dare say more memorable. I know, you’ve got 101 things to do before the holidays already, but they’re quick and easy (I promise!) and wallet-friendly too.
- Iron their name or nickname onto a t-shirt (I’ve done this a few times for my kids and their friends — they make such thoughtful presents!)
- Make a personalized necklace or bracelet with alphabet-letter beads
- Decorate a small box and fill it with fun craft supplies (splash out on pom poms, googly eyes, sparkly pipe cleaners and glitter glue)
- Make a brief video sharing a special memory of you together or reading a story; bonus points if you tell it wearing a funny hat or a fake moustache (put the video on a USB stick for a keepsake and/or give them the book you read in the video)
- Scan one of their favourite pieces of artwork, print it on transfer paper and iron it onto a pillowcase
Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day has all kinds of DIY gift ideas too — mostly for adults, but some of these you could make with kids. The company is bringing its hard-working, great-smelling household products to Canada this January after nearly 20 years in the US. They’re made with essential oils from flowers and herbs like lavender, lemon verbena, basil and honeysuckle and they’re biodegradable, phosphate-free and not tested on animals. Which I wouldn’t be telling you about if I didn’t love them myself (I mean, as much as one can love cleaning products) and think you’d like to try them too.
For a chance to win Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day line for Canada (that’s the All-Purpose Cleaner, Multi-Surface Concentrate, Dish Soap, Hand Soap, 64 Load Laundry Detergent and Dryer Sheets in this post) tell me about a gift you’ve made or which product you’d most like to try in the comments below. This entry is mandatory.
For an additional entry, follow try small things on Facebook and share this post, then tell me you did so and your name on Facebook in the comments below.
And feel free to tweet the following once per day and leave the url for your tweet in the comments below (one entry per tweet). Make sure you’re following try small things on Twitter for your entry to count.
#WIN the complete line of Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day products coming to Canada from @trysmallthings 12/07 http://bit.ly/MMCleanDay #MrsMeyersCA
The giveaway is open to Canadian residents 18+ and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on December 7, 2016. The potential winner must respond to prize notification within 48 hours, including the correct answer to a skill-testing question, otherwise another winner will be selected.
Update December 8, 2016: Congratulations Christine W!
I received Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day products free-of-charge to facilitiate this post, however all opinions are my own.