I know it’s like 1,000 degrees outside and the last thing a lot of us want to do is turn the oven on and bake, but bookmark this recipe to make when the heat wave breaks because you’re going to want to eat these chocolate pumpkin brownies all Fall. Developed by natural foodie Regina Braun of LeeLalicious for Green & Black’s chocolate, they’re a fudgey, not overly sweet treat, easy to make for Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving or whenever. Green & Black’s sent me some bars to give it a try, plus a selection for one lucky reader.
I used three quarters of a cup of sugar instead of the one to one and a half cups suggested here, and omitted the milk in the frosting for a thick, creamy spread. Let me know if you try them! I’d love to hear how they went over.
Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies
4 ounces Green & Black’s Organic 85% Dark Chocolate
1/3 cup butter or coconut oil
1-1/2 cups coconut sugar or unrefined sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Pumpkin Almond Butter Frosting:
1/4 cup almond butter
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1-3 tablespoons almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line an 8- or 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a sauce pan melt Green & Black’s Organic 85% Dark Chocolate and butter/coconut oil on low heat while stirring regularly.
3. Once melted, stir in the sugar and pumpkin puree, then eggs and vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and sea salt. Add the dry to the wet ingredients and fold in without over mixing.
5. Pour the brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. For fudgey brownies a toothpick inserted into the centre should come out with just a few wet crumbs attached.
6. Let the brownies cool before frosting and cutting.
7. For the frosting, stir together all ingredients in a small bowl. Add more milk to achieve desired consistency. Thicker frosting has to be spread, while thinner icing can be drizzled.
To enter to win a chocolate prize pack from Green & Black’s (the five chocolate bars above + the tote), tell me another dessert you’d make with Green & Black’s chocolate in the comments below. This entry is mandatory.
For an additional entry, follow try small things on Facebook and share this post, then tell me you did so and your name on Facebook in the comments below.
For a third entry, follow try small things on Instagram, and tell me your Instagram handle in the comments below.
And feel free to tweet the following once per day and leave the url for your tweet in the comments below (one entry per tweet). Make sure you’re following try small things on Twitter for your entry to count.
Try Green & Black’s chocolate pumpkin brownies & #win with @trysmallthings http://wp.me/p4xBed-69R • CAN 10/10
The giveaway is open to Canadian residents 18+ and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on October 10, 2017. The potential winner (chosen at random) must respond to prize notification within 48 hours and provide the correct answer to a skill-testing question, otherwise another will be selected.
Update October 11, 2017: Congratulations Alison B!
Green & Black’s sent me some chocolate to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.